- The ideal virtual team size is 3-5 students (Shorter projects = smaller teams)
- Give specific guidelines to teams at beginning of class that include responsibilities, grading rubrics, and technology
- Require teams make initial post early in the week (Wednesday) to make sure discussions aren’t last minute
- Make the Peer Evaluation worth a significant part of the grade
- Consider doing a Peer evaluation at the midpoint of the assignment to determine whether everyone is involved.
- Create a process that will allow a team to ‘fire’ a member that isn’t participating
- Grade inflation and giving every post 100% does not encourage discussion
- Consider forming teams by having students select specific topics they are interested in
- Have more emphasis and training on team building during orientation sessions
Some of these ideas are just common sense, but it's a good checklist for any online group assignments you may considering.